Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Being Cyrus

This is the movie about Cyrus( Saif Ali Khan). About how it is like Being Cyrus.
The movie starts with Cyrus joining the pottery school of Dinshaw Sethna( Nasseruddin Shah )
Dinshaw's wife Katie( Dimple Kapadia ) begins to seduce Cyrus. She has her own plan and wants to change her boring life. Dinshaw on the other hand is always in his world, never bothered of anything other than the art for which he gave all his life.

Dinshaw's brother Farrokh( Boman Irani ) also has an eye on beautiful Katie. He hates Dinshaw and vice-verse. Farrokh and Katie make a plan to use Cyrus to kill Dinshaw father Fardounjee Sethna(Honey Chhaya) who has a lot of property in Mumbai. They also plan to kill Farokh's beautiful wife Tina Sethna(Simone Singh). In between all this hiccup is Inspector Maninder Lovely (Manoj Pahwa) who accidentally saves Tina's life.
What Cyrus does in this situation.
Watch out the movie for that.

What marks this movie out is its dialogues. Some of the best dialogues I have heard.

Here are some of them
"Ordinarily people would consider me distinct from usual emotions of human life. But how ordinary people are anyway. I suppose I look life a little differently. My impressions are moulded by the series of event that were not in my control and I have grown this life from the outside"

"As children we never imagined that there was a world out there that the other people spent all their life grabbing at. As much as we wanted to break out from that world nobody ever told us that the more we grab the more will we loose a few pieces of ourselves"

"Leo Tolstoy once said all happy family resemble one another. Each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. This is about the Sethna family the two brothers, their old father Fardounjee and a few variants thrown in for good measure. This is my side of their story"

And then the humorous ones
About Nasseruddin Shah ( Dinshaw Sethna)

"I apprenticed Dinshaw Sethna sculpture evongaurd now vanished into obscurity. A recluse whose work had once won several accolade which they knew nothing about"

"First smoke of the morning and the stars would always come out for him"

About Katie ( Dimple Kapadia )
"Katie was a piece of work. My eyes would rarely get past her swish of hip and bounce of breasts. I would blush profusely and she would love it. Most people make eye contact, Katie liked to make breast contact every chance she get."

"So I went along for I was sure of one thing if I wanted I could play Katie like a violin"

About old Fardounjee Sethna
"It wasn't about the bruise. What sicken me was the sight of how helpless and vulnerable he was.
How quickly everything seem to break down once you get this old"

"Even as the word spilt out I could tell he been having a foggy day in neverland. I have seen statues with more expressive eyes"

And last but not the least.
"Once the game is over the king and the pond go back into the same box"

A good movie can be judged on how the lesser know actor act in the movie.
Honey Chhaya as Fardounjee Sethna is too good.
Same goes for Manoj Pahwa as Inspector Maninder Lovely who is brilliant.
As for the other noted performance is Boman Irani.
Naseerudin Shah has few scenes in the movie but we get to see what we expect from him.
Dimple Kapadia looks beautiful.
Saif is everywhere in the movie. With such a good director we expect that he will get a good performance out of Saif Ai Khan. Saif does his job cleanly.

One has to mention some notes about the director Homi Adajania
One has to be very tough to make such a movie and get out with flying colours. I have seen very few directors with such a impressive debut.

No comments: